Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cactus Sketch - Sedona

One of my favorite places on this planet is Sedona, Arizona.

I was fortunate to spend a few days there recently and had hoped to pack my watercolor pencils before I left. But in the rush to get orders to the post office and beat the next oncoming blizzard;
the pencils did not make it into my bag. When I returned, I did a couple of quick sketches taken from digital pics. Outside the door of our casita was a small grouping of cactus.

Working with watercolor pencils, I laid down a bit of color trying to capture the angle of the sun. Then with a small liner brush and a bit of water, touching the pencil marks allowed the colors to blend into each other. My hopes are to scan the watercolor onto silk and then embellish with thread, fibers, actual little pebbles and pieces of silk and bark. When doing watercolors, my goal is capture the "suggestion" of the subject and not to labor over details.

No comments: