Sunday, March 20, 2011

Orchid Artistry

Thought I would share a photo of an orchid I have in our sun room. I continue to be amazed by its beauty.
And I stay in amazement that it is thriving in spite of my lack of knowledge on how to care for such a glorious plant. The sun room receives wonderful morning sunlight and in the winter months, Pennsylvania receives little sunlight, which makes us truly appreciate sunny days. In the early morning hours, I usually find both cats sleeping beneath the orchid, catching the early morning rays. Mother Nature, the ultimate Artist and what a gift!

5 comments:

Kathleen Pirro said...

I love Orchids too, and I can't seem to figure them out to keep them happy.

Victoria Adams Brown said...

Kathleen, I'm with you. I keep reading online how to care for them. This orchid was given to me in a large Valentine basket and every day I tell Miss Orchid "Thank you" for sharing her beauty just one more day. Just bought a French oval vegetable porcelain piece at a Thrift Store; without the lid. Will repot the orchid into this beautiful bowl.

Marie Alton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marie Alton said...

Let's try this again!

Hi Vicki ... I have this very same orchid ... aquired recently at our store.

It blooms in winter/spring ... so don't be dismayed when it starts to lose it's blossoms.

It is recommended to cut bsck each stem to just above the last bloom ... & to keep it moist but not wet ... & it should bloom again in the fall.

Hugs ... Marie

Victoria Adams Brown said...

Marie, thanks for this great info. I love this orchid and your tips are perfect. I have about 8 blooms left and when they are gone, will trim back per your advice. Keep me posted on how you and your lovely orchid are doing, OK?