Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Silk ribbon embroidery Rubber Stamp Initial

I'm creating an assortment of ribbon embroidered initial pieces, for my neice's wedding in September. Her last name will be Smith, so I'm using the "S" initial from the RibbonSmyth Victorian Monogram Rubber Stamps. Her flowers for the Texas country wedding are sunflowers and gerber daisies. The bridesmaids will be wearing royal blue gowns. She wanted to use colors such as yellows, greens, corals and royal blue for the ribbon embroidery. The rubber stamps were adapted into silk ribbon stitches, after teaching in London and discovering an 18th Century garden floral alphabet book; I returned home and sketched a floral alphabet and then rubber stamps were created in a 6-inch and 2-inch size. Tsukineko created a water-soluble stamp pad ink for my Victorian Initials. The embroidered initials are an excellent, beginner ribbon embroidery class. Stamp the fabric using the rubber stamp, hoop the fabric,and embroider. Once the embroidery is completed, remove any trace of visible ink, with a wet cotton swab. I used ivory silk doupioni for the fabric. Doupioni is my fabric of choice for ribbon embroidery, due to its body and luster.

No comments: