Friday, July 26, 2013

Maroon13 Block Three ~ in the early stages

Most of the blocks I piece, have seven patches, simply because I don't have time or the patience to piece a block with an assortment of small pieces.  These blocks start out as nine-inch squares. The little rayon motif was dyed with RibbonSmyth Rainbow Dyes. Wet the rayon piece,  lay onto a foam "paper" plate and dab on dye using diluted dyes of Gold, Olivine, Pansy and Victorian Rose. Use a brush to paint the motif, but I've painted motifs with cotton swabs, with the motif in a glass ashtray in a hotel room! Microwave the painted motif to heat-fix or let the motif dry and iron, on the back of the motif to heat-fix. I keep a small plastic bag with dyed motifs. The motif is tacked, laying over a seam and overlapping onto a piece of gold Scalamandre velvet. My memory is challenged daily, but I know exactly where I acquired my most favorite fabrics!


No comments: